Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Travels

Today is the last day of July 2026. Hard to believe this year is half over but it is. 

For the July 4th holiday, we went back to Bellingham for a few days. Four full days + two for travel.  The trip out was an adventure with our shuttle bus getting a flat tire on the way up. We were late getting to town by 8, later than our original time of 5:30.  Ugh.  We picked up the tent al car then made a food stop for Joe at DQ and a Trader Joe stop for me.  For some reason, Ann asked us to stay elsewhere. Fran offered her house to us so we stayed with them. I was a little nervous about it as it had been several years since we’d last stayed but it was fine. I love the way Fran and I can talk to each other for hours, always have.

While we were in WA, a tornado blew through Huron and caused a lot of property damage. Trees and roof mostly but still scary. I’m glad we weren’t there for it. Indie was staying with Kaycee Tschetter and family while we were gone.  I checked in on them and was told they were fine, just shaken.  We also got updates on Indie who was having fun with their dogs. (Indie needs a playmate). 

Day 2, Friday-  we met BPD crew at Woods.  Dave Richards, Carr Lanham, Scott Snider, Melissa Locke, Mike Johnson. It was good to see them. Just like old times.  Mikey’s wife has Alzheimer’s which came as a shock.  Kyla Lanham showed up and we got to chat, mostly about Brooks. I was brought up to speed on that saga. 

We went to see Ann and visited with her for a time, taking her to dinner. She dotes on Maxine, putting her needs first.  I admit I was short with her as she dragged her feet getting ready to go out.  It felt like we were dealing with a child.  In some ways, she is, I guess. We ate at COA where she flirted with the very young server.  She’s terrible but it gave us all a good laugh. I shouldn’t have been so short with her and I’m sorry I was. 

Saturday was the 4th. Joe and I went to the Farmers Market. He’d never been so it was an experience. We picked up berries and flowers for the Bolden’s who were kind enough to feed us. I drove around Bellingham reminding myself of familiar places. It was good to be back. That evening we hung out with the Millers. Just us and them, David and Blakely and Her boyfriend, Shay.  Yep, her bfs name is Shay.  😳

We had planned to watch fireworks but skipped them in lieu of sleep. We’ll see fireworks next year. 

Sunday was our last full day before heading home.  We attended mass at Assumption and ran into Brigid Adams there.  Brigid was our church wedding coordinator who has since moved to SoDak. Small world! 

We stopped to see Ann and the Millers for one final good bye. Our last meal was with Fran and John and Susan came over after sailing for a quick chat. She looks happy.  Married life suits her.  

We were on the road by 3 am and made it home without incident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment